From 2020 I’ll offer writing retreats in Switzerland’s spectacular Bernese Oberland, a region which inspired Goethe, Turner, Conan Doyle and Tolkien amongst others. The retreat will enable you to focus on your writing – whether you’re completing a novel or you’ve always yearned to set time aside to draft your first short story. Begin your day with a 90-minute workshop. Then concentrate on your writing project in your own time. In the evening there will be readings and feedback in a friendly, highly supportive atmosphere.
Why a writing retreat?
- To have time and space to write: by immersing yourself in the process, you produce not only more, but better-quality, work
- To enjoy the company and support of like-minded people at various stages of their writing journey
- To develop your writing skills and/or project with the guidance of a tutor.
Why this retreat?
- On the global list of 46 Incredible Writing Retreats to Attend in 2020 published by The Write Life
- Hosted by an author with solid credentials: a published novelist; creative-writing tutor with superb testimonials; reviewer; director of literary programming of the Hampstead Arts Festival
- Taking place in the Bernese Oberland – specifically in the unspoilt Hasliberg area of the magnificent Jungfrau Region, a timeless source of inspiration for authors and other artists
- A vast choice of well-maintained paths allows you to enhance the day with a walk to stimulate both your creativity and the problem-solving involved in good writing
- A maximum of 3 guests to guarantee peace and personal attention
- A 90-minute workshop in the mornings, with focused readings and writing exercises to inspire your creativity
- In the evenings, the free option of either: (1) readings chosen by the tutor to illustrate and discuss aspects of writing; or (2) those who wish to receive feedback from the group and the tutor may read out extracts from their work
- Very comfortable accommodation: large apartment in modern chalet in a village at approx. 1070 meters above sea-level
- Double bedrooms put to single-occupancy use, all with stunning views of the mountains (including Engelhörner, Wellhorn, Wetterhorn and Eiger) and high in natural light; 3 bathrooms
- Spacious shared sitting room with log-burner
- Shared large kitchen-diner. A continental breakfast, a light lunch and a home-cooked dinner are included in the price of the retreat. Dinner will be prepared each evening by the host with the help of participants, using the high-quality ingredients provided
- Easy walk to the local café and shop.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, retreats cannot take place until further notice.
- 6 nights: arrive on Saturday, 15:30 – 17:30; depart the following Friday after breakfast
- Option to stay on an extra night at a reduced rate for those wishing to visit local attractions such as: the city of Lucerne; the Reichenbach Falls of Sherlock Holmes fame; the Aare and Rosenlaui gorges; Ballenberg Open-Air Museum; Lake Brienz and the Giessbach Falls.
- GBP 600 all-inclusive of accommodation, meals, writing workshops in the mornings and readings/feedback in the evenings as described above
- A deposit of GBP 100 is payable upon receipt of confirmation of a place on the retreat, with the balance due three weeks before the start.
Further information and bookings:
- Feel free to drop me an email on valeriavw [at] btinternet.com
- Or contact me by clicking here.
‘Every now and then you find a subject so perfect that were you to stay in that one place for the rest of your life you would find enough to keep you painting for all time.’
Ken Howard OBE RA, from Ken Howard’s Switzerland – In the Footsteps of Turner, Royal Academy of Arts, 2013
Photos © the author.
The Write Life image reproduced with the kind permission of The Write Life‘s Jessica Lawlor and Susan Shain. Photo freely available from Shutterstock.
Wellhorn and Wetterhorn, by Prof. Ken Howard OBE RA, reproduced with his kind permission.
Quote from Ken Howard’s Switzerland – In the Footsteps of Turner, reproduced with Prof. Ken Howard’s kind permission.